Helldivers 2 uses the GameGuard anti-cheat system, which is a kernel-level anti-cheat.
This means that it runs at the same level of privilege as the operating system itself, which gives it a wider range of access to your computer’s resources and makes it more effective at detecting and preventing cheats.
Helldivers 2 is a fun and challenging co-op shooter game. You can play it on PC or PS5. But if you play it on a PC, you need to use a special software called kernel anti-cheat.
This software helps to prevent cheating and hacking in the game. In this article, I will explain what kernel anti-cheat is, why it is used, and how to use it.
What is Kernel Anti-Cheat?
Kernel anti-cheat is a type of software that runs in the background while you play the game. It checks if you or other players are using any unfair methods to gain an advantage in the game.
For example, it can detect if you are using a trainer, a mod, or a hack that alters the game files or behavior.
Kernel anti-cheat is also called nProtect GameGuard. It is one of the most effective anti-cheat systems in the market. Many popular games use it, such as League of Legends, MapleStory, and Ragnarok Online.
Why is Kernel Anti-Cheat Used?
You might wonder why kernel anti-cheat is used in a co-op game like Helldivers 2. After all, you should work with other players, not against them. So why does it matter if someone cheats or hacks?
The reason is that Helldivers 2 has a Galactic War feature. This is a meta-story that involves all players and game clients. The Galactic War is a global campaign where you and other players fight for the survival of humanity against alien invaders.
The outcome of the Galactic War depends on all players’ collective performance. If some players cheat or hack, they can affect the Galactic War’s balance and progress. This can ruin the fun and the challenge for other players.
Therefore, kernel anti-cheat ensures that everyone plays fair and square. It also protects the game from malicious attacks that could damage servers or data.
How to Use Kernel Anti-Cheat?
Using kernel anti-cheat is very easy. You don’t need to do anything special. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install Helldivers 2 on your PC.
- Launch the game from your desktop or your Steam library.
- Kernel anti-cheat will automatically start with the game. You will see a small icon on the bottom right corner of your screen. This means that kernel anti-cheat is working.
- Enjoy the game with your friends or other players online.
That’s it. You don’t need to configure or update kernel anti-cheat. It will do everything by itself. You can also close the game normally when you are done playing. Kernel anti-cheat will stop with the game.
Pros Vs Cons Kernel Anti Cheat Helldivers 2
|Pros of using kernel-level anti-cheat
|Cons of using kernel-level anti-cheat
|More effective at detecting and preventing cheats: Kernel-level anti-cheat has deeper access to system resources, making it harder for cheaters to bypass detection.
|Privacy concerns: Some players are concerned about how much data kernel-level anti-cheat software collects.
|Can deter cheaters: The knowledge that kernel-level anti-cheat is in place may discourage some players from even attempting to cheat.
|Performance impact: Kernel-level anti-cheat can consume system resources, which could lead to performance issues for some players.
|Can deter cheaters: The knowledge that kernel-level anti-cheat is in place may discourage some players from attempting to cheat.
|Can help to level the playing field: By preventing cheating, kernel-level anti-cheat can help ensure that all players are competing fairly.
Is Kernel Anti-Cheat Safe?
Some players might have some concerns about kernel anti-cheat. They might worry that kernel anti-cheat will spy on them, slow down their PC, or conflict with other programs.
These are some common myths about kernel anti-cheat. Let me clear them up for you.
- Kernel anti-cheat does not collect or transmit sensitive information about you or your PC. It only checks the game files and the game’s behavior. It follows global laws for user privacy, such as GDPR.
- Kernel anti-cheat does not significantly affect the performance of the game or the PC. It uses a very small amount of CPU and memory resources. It also does not interfere with other programs or processes on your PC.
- Kernel anti-cheat is compatible with most of the PC hardware and software. It does not cause any crashes or errors. However, if you encounter any problems, you can contact the game support or the kernel anti-cheat support for help.
Why do People Use nProtect GameGuard kernel-level anti-cheat software?
The PC version of Helldivers 2 uses nProtect GameGuard, a kernel-level anti-cheat software that runs in the background while the game is running.
Some players have expressed concerns about the security and performance of GameGuard, as well as the need for an anti-cheat system in a co-op game.
The developer of Helldivers 2 has explained the reasons for using GameGuard. Here are some of the main points:
- GameGuard is one of the more effective ways to prevent cheating and hacking in the game, especially in the Galactic War.
- Meta story, which involves all players and game clients.
- GameGuard does not collect or transmit sensitive information about the players, and it follows global laws for user privacy, such as GDPR.
- GameGuard is only active while the game is running, and it does not affect the game’s or the PC’s performance significantly.
- GameGuard is removed from the PC when the game is uninstalled.
Kernel anti-cheat is a useful and necessary software for Helldivers 2. It helps to keep the game fair and fun for everyone. It also protects the game from hackers and cheaters.
It is easy to use and safe to run. You don’t need to worry about anything. Just enjoy the game with your friends or other players online.