Fix Windows 11 Slow Startup/Boot: When it comes to slow boot times on your Windows 11 pc, the go-to recommendation on how to speed windows things up is just to install an SSD while that is in hardware effect. The software can still cause issues making your system boot up quite slowly.
So, how do you fix the Windows 11 Slow Startup issue? That’s what this article is all about. This is one from guiding tech, and in today’s article, we’ll be talking about the top best easy, simple tips and tricks in which you can ensure that your pc does not take forever to boot up.
Let’s fix this Windows 11 slow startup/boot problem that you might be encountering in your PC. But if you are experiencing that your system is slowing down after updates, you can check how to speed up Windows 11 for gaming and development.
What is Slow Boot/Startup On Windows?
Sometimes, You will notice that your PC gets stuck where you have the windows logo and the speed in the cycle. And then it remains here. The cycle keeps spinning basically forever. Now there are several possible reasons.
What Can Cause Windows 11 Slow Startup/Boot?
Why you may be experiencing this problem.
Reason 1: It could happen after Windows has installed sudden updates that it finds incompatible with the software distribution or after you make sudden changes to your system settings.
Reason 2: It could even be due to certain applications you have installed on your PC.
Reason 3: It may be the case that your hibernation files aren’t appropriate or your user profile has problems. This would imply that when your PC stimulates, it wants extra time to load the portion of the window from the hibernation file or your profile quickly from the disk.
Now, if you’re able to figure out the event that led to this problem, then you wouldn’t need to try all of these methods below. You could pick only the specific method that is more likely to solve your problem.
How Do I Reduce Boot Time In Windows 11?
1. Disable Startup Application
2. Need to replace the old HDD with an SSD.
3. Run Disc Cleanup and Check all the options.
4. Try to Perform Reset PC
5. Remove all bloatware and crapware, be it Microsoft or 3rd party “utilities”
6. Switch DNS server to quad9 – see www.quad9.net
We explained everything in this article below.
Why Is Windows 11 Slow Performance?
Anything could happen to your windows 11 system. Please check our best technique to speed up whole windows 11 performance, even gaming and web development.
How To Fix Windows 11 Slow Startup/Boot Issue
I’ll be showing you the most effective ways to fix the problem of automatic repair loop, infinite booting or some Windows 11 slow startup or boot problems you might be experiencing with Windows 11 or Windows 10.
Solution #1, Disable Startup Application
So the first thing that we’re going to do to fix this slow boot or startup issue in Windows 11 is to disable some startup items on our system.
Let’s tackle one of the most common problems that might affect your windows 11 slow startup/boot times issue.
See, when your pc is loading up, a lot of apps are also starting up. You know that you have the option enabled to start at boot. Chances are, you do not really need most of them. And This is why it’s recommendable just to disable them.
1. Simply, Go to the Start menu and then go to the Settings. Expand the settings window.
2. Next, go to the Apps. In the app’s window, you can see the Startup option. Click on it.
3. Under the Startup option. You can now see all the apps that are running upon startup on our windows 11.
4. Here, you can see each individual app right here that is configured to run upon startup. So I suggest disabling all this particular stuff right here that is not necessary or important.
Click on the blue toggle icon next to the app. It will turn off.
But it would be best if you kept enabling the windows security notification icon since it’s a windows app.
5. Once done, go ahead and close this window and go ahead and restart your system. and see if that would fix the problem of slow boot or startup.
Alternatively, you can see all startup apps using the task manager. By right-clicking on the start menu and clicking on the Task Manager. And go to the Startup tab. Disable them one-by-one.
However, On windows 11. we could configure it right from the control panel itself.
Solution #2, Disable/Enable The Fast Startup On Windows 11
If that still didn’t fix your problem. We can now try another solution: to disable or enable the fast startup feature on windows 11.
Sometimes, the fast startup would conflict with your machine or your system hardware; hence that would be the cost slow bootup process or the startup on windows 11.
1. Go ahead and go back to the start menu again and search for the Control panel. Click to open the Control panel.
2. Click to open the Power Options.
3. It will take you to the Power options window right here. Go ahead and click on the “What the power buttons do or does”.
4. Click on the “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
5. Here, You’d be able to see the “Turn on fast startup”. To fix the particular issue. You need to do exactly the opposite of what it currently has.
Suppose the checkbox is currently turned off. You can go ahead and try enabling that particular feature on windows 11.
However, if that particular feature is currently turned on, and you are experiencing slowness or a slow startup on windows 11.
Go ahead and check this checkbox right here and disable that particular feature.
6. Next, click on the Save changes. And go ahead and proceed with the restart of your computer. And see if that would fix the windows 11 slow startup or boot problem.
NOTE: If you found there are no fast startup options. Then you need to enable this option. Go to the Start menu > click on the Windows PowerShell(admin) > Type in here
powercfg /hibernate on > Hit enter. It will enable the Startup option.
Solution #3, Enable Storage Sense To Fix Windows 11 Slow Boot
How to use storage sense on your windows computer. how to actually go ahead and free up some space on your computer and automatically manage some temporary files.
So storage sense will allow you to go ahead, and in the background, this acts as an assistant that automatically frees up space by making locally available files you aren’t using anymore.
1. Start by right-clicking on the windows start button. And you want to select Settings. You want to scroll down and select the Storage option.
2. Then below, under the Storage management section. You can see the Storage sense (automatically free up space, delete temporary files, manage locally available cloud content). Click on the Toggle button to turn it on.
3. Next, Click on it. Inside this, change these options:
- Turn on the Automatic user content cleanup toggle button.
- Set Run Storage option as Default.
- Set time for delete files automatically from the recycle bin.
- You can set schedules.
4. At the very bottom. You can see an option called: “Run storage sense” immediately. And run it manually by selecting the run storage sense now button.
5. After it is completed. It will definitely help you to fix Windows 11 slow boot issues. Also, it will help you to speed up Windows 11.
Solution #4, Configure Page File Settings
1. Next, if the issue still persists. The go-to the start menu again and click on search,
2. Search for “Advanced system settings”. Click to open from the search result.
4. Under the Advanced tab. In the performance section, click on Settings. It will open another small modal.
5. Next, Click to the Advanced tab. under the Virtual memory, click on the Change.
6. Go ahead and uncheck the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”. You can see the C drive in the box.
7. Under the C drive where your operating system is installed. We are going to change the page file size under the Custom size. Check the option.
8. Next, For the initial size. You’ll be able to see here the recommended value underneath.
So we’re going to input that: 2687.
We’re just going to double this value right here for the maximum size, and we’re going to multiply 2687 with 2.
We’re going to enter that as the maximum size for the paging file size on our c drive: The value is 5374.
9. Next, Click on the Set button once done. And hit the Ok button.it will ask you to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Hit the Ok. After restart, execute the following method.
Solution #5, Disable Visual Effect
Once you have done the previous method, open the same window as you did in the above section. This could also be the cause why you are experiencing some windows 11 slow startup/boot issues.
1. This time, click on the Visual Effects And since we’re already on this particular window, we need to change or disable some animations on our computer.
2. So, you need to go ahead and click on the “Adjust for best performance” radio button. you could enable some options right here, such as:
- The smooth edges of screen fonts.
- Also, check the Show thumbnails instead of icons.
Since I think these are the most basic stuff that is required or personally important for my end. Once done.
3. Simply Hit the apply button. Once done. Okay, go ahead and click on the restart now button. If that doesn’t work, try the next method.
Read More On Windows 11
Solution #6, Optimize Drives
So we’re going to go ahead and jump right into it.
1. So start by opening up the Start menu. Type in “defragment”. Click on the “Defragment and Optimize Drives” settings for the best result.
2. Here, you can see the drive list. So whatever drive Windows is installed on. Select the drive and click on the Optimize button.
3. This will take a few moments to run. It so depends on your hard drive size. The process could take anywhere from a few minutes to perhaps a couple of hours. So just be patient. And we’re going to go ahead and let it run right here.
4. Here, you can also schedule the optimization process by setting the time. Click on change settings. And select your time like daily, weekly or monthly.
Solution #7, Update New Windows OS Build
Windows 11 Build is now rolling out to testers in the Dev Channel of Microsoft’s Insider program. The latest preview update is from the company’s active development branch, and it comes with minor improvements.
The patch “Windows 11 Insider Preview XXXX (rs_prerelease)” comes with improvements that could be shipped to the public in the fall of 2022.
Windows 11 Build 22458 is from the Dev Channel, and it’s not tied to any specific feature update. If you want preview updates tied to a particular release, you need to join the Beta channel. As for the latest build, there are minor bug fixes and improvements, which is no surprise. You need to keep updating the new builds to resolve the existing bugs and performance.
1. Click on the Start menu > click on the Settings.
2. In the Windows Settings. Click on Windows Update from the left sidebar.
4. Now, Click on Check for updates. If an update is available, please update the new windows 11.
If you find any problem or you can’t see any update options. It means you are not a Windows Insider Program member. You need to sign in with your Microsoft account to get windows 11 updates frequently. It could fix the windows 11 slow startup/boot issue.
Solution #8, Disable The Linux Subsystem
We can now try disabling the Linux subsystem that could be installed on our windows 11 machine.
1. So go and click on the start menu and click on search and search for ”windows features”.
2. Next, click on the Turn Windows features on or off option. And let’s now scroll to the bottom until you see the Windows subsystem for Linux.
3. Sometimes, this gets installed in some cases. And if you don’t use the subsystem for Linux. You could go ahead and uncheck this option.
4. Next, click on the Ok button. It will proceed and go ahead and remove the Linux subsystem on your Windows 11. which again would free up some space and resources on your computer.
5. Once done. Close all the windows. Restart your computer and see if that would fix the windows 11 slow startup problem.
Solution #9, Run System File Checker Tool
If still (windows 11 slow startup/boot issue) didn’t work after trying all the stuff that you have just done. You can now go ahead and run the system file checker tool.
- To do so, simply go back to the Start option. Right-click on it and click on Windows PowerShell (admin). And then type in here:
It will begin scanning the system for any missing resources or files on our operating system. Simply just wait for it to finish once the scan is completed. You can see a message saying the verification phase has been completed.
Once done. We can now go ahead and close the PowerShell window. And go ahead and Restart your computer.
Solution #10, Delete Temporary Files
This is a pretty straightforward technique. One direct approach to let loose some disk space in Windows is to remove temporary documents, in some cases alluded to as temp files.
Temp files are what they presumably sound like: files that your OS simply expected to exist temporarily while being used; however, they are now only wasting space.
- Go to the bottom next to Start and click Search.
- Then now write here %temp%. You need to add a percentage here—hit Enter.
- it’s going to open you a file here. Now press the Control + A key on your keyboard at the same time to highlight over all the folders listed here.
- Right-click on them and then select Delete.
Suppose there are any items that can’t be deleted. Don’t be too concerned about it .just go ahead and skip over them. That should be about it. Restart your computer, and you should be good to go without windows 11 slow startup issue.
Solution #10, Set Diagnostic Startup
We can now go ahead and try disabling some services on our MSConfig tool.
1. To do so, simply go to the search box in the start menu. And search the word MSConfig. Open up the System configuration app from the search result.
2. You’ll be able to see here the Startup selection.
Click on the Diagnostic startup, which will only load the basic devices and services on windows. Once then, hit the Apply button and Ok. Restart your system.
IMPORTANT: Diagnostic startup can break your windows functionalities as it will only load basic services and devices. This will help you narrow down whether a service or an app is causing the slowdown. To restore everything back to normal, simply select the normal startup.
After figuring out which particular service or startup app that’s causing the problem which is the slow boot or startup issue on windows 11.
3. Next, going to go ahead and click on the normal startup to restore all the services to run upon startup. And also the apps that were previously disabled upon applying the diagnostic startup feature.
4. Once done. Hit the Apply button. And Ok. and then go ahead and restart your computer after applying all those changes. Your windows 11 slow startup issue is now solved.
Solution #11, Run Disk Check Tool
If that still didn’t work. The issue may be now already on your hard drive or your SSD drive. So, to check whether there are some corrupted files or some issues with the hard drive or your system drive.
- Simply go ahead and open up the File Explorer. Right-click on your local desk C or on the drive where your system is installed. Simply right-click on it and click on the Properties.
- Go to the Tools tab and click on the Check button under the Error-checking section.
- Click on the Scan drive option. Sometimes accumulated system errors are because of the stones or the sluggish boot-up or startup process on Windows 11.
Suppose there are no errors found on this particular system drive. You will be showing this particular message that no errors were found on your drive.
Simply close this window. if that were the case otherwise. you might be asked to restart and repair your drive automatically. After this, the windows 11 slow startup issue should go.
Solution #11, Reset This PC
In this section, I will show you how to reset your pc without losing your files in windows 11. The process is very similar to Windows 10 but for those of you who don’t know.
1. All you have to do is click the search button and type in here settings. and in the Settings, the click on the System.
2. Section scroll down a bit where it says Recovery. Click on it. And here, you will have Reset This PC (Choose to keep or remove your personal files, then reinstall windows). Click on Reset PC.
3. Now, you can see that the menu or screen is very similar to windows 10. You have two options.
If you want to keep your files, select Keep my files, and if you want to reinstall windows 11, click on Remove everything completely. Click on Keep my files.
4. Next window, you can see getting things ready. Now they ask us how you would like to reinstall windows: 1) Cloud download (Download and reinstall windows) 2) Local Reinstall windows from this device.
I will recommend you use the cloud download. Because this will download the latest version of windows, next, follow the process on the screen.
After you did everything well, the slow boot of windows 11 is fixed. This is how you fix the windows 11 slow startup or boot issue.